Monday, August 11, 2003

Almanor Diary, Day 6--Thursday, July 31, 2003

Most of the week at Almanor, Jack slept on a fold out couch in the front room of the cabin. About 3:00 a.m., we were awaken by Jack screaming like a banshee. I went into the front room and Jack was standing in the middle of the bed screaming. I asked him what was wrong and he said that his stomach hurt. I picked him and carried into the bathroom where he almost immediately started to throw up. While he was throwing up, Jack continued to wail at the top of his lungs. Once there was nothing left in his stomach, He started dry heaving. Jack did not take this in stride; it was the first time that he has gotten sick to his stomach. After the dry heaving, Jack had diarrhea. fun, fun, fun...

Interesting, while all five of the Heringer's got sick during the week, only two other people got sick. David Tomasin was sick on Wednesday, while Gail Bachman was sick on Thursday. Bachman and Tomasin complained on several occasions that their stomachs were upset and suggested that they might have a touch of the bug. More likely it was the 97 beers they had.

I got up the fairly early the next morning with everyone else still asleep and went for a four mile run on Highway 147. After I got back, Sharon and Jack were still asleep. Morgan and I ended up going out on the boats for the morning.

Several people asked me during the course of the day about the amount of noise that Jack was making at 3:00 a.m.; he apparently woke up a number of people with his wailing.

We went to the Hamburger Hut for a late, long lunch. The adults had more than a few beers, while the kids swam in the swimming area and threw each other off the dock. As we were getting ready to leave, everyone got involved in throwing everyone off the dock and into the water.

When we got back to the cabins, Sharon and I went into Chester to do some shopping. Each family takes one night to cook dinner during the week; we were on the hook for Friday night.

Pat and Kathy Tomasin, John's mom and sister, showed up for several hours in the afternoon. Wallen's brother Bill also showed up with his wife and three kids.

After dinner, we had a birthday celebration for Robby Hunter and Kendall Brown. Kendall turned 20 on Thursday, while Robby turned 19 on Friday.

Jack rallied pretty well. After dinner, he was running around with Bill's two boys playing baseball and football.

Tomasin, Hunter and Bachman took off about 10:30 p.m. for a boat ride to Plumas Pines returning about 1:30 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment