Friday, July 31, 2020
Thursday, July 30, 2020
Greyhound is a 2020 American war film directed by Aaron Schneider. It stars and was written by Tom Hanks. The film is based on the 1955 novel The Good Shepherd by C. S. Forester. It also stars Stephen Graham, Rob Morgan, and Elisabeth Shue.
The plot follows a US Navy Commander on his first war-time assignment in command of a multi-national escort group defending a merchant ship convoy under attack by submarines in early-1942 during the Battle of the Atlantic. The plot focuses on the multiple day transit of the "Black Pit." This is the Mid-Atlantic gap where they are out of range of protective air cover.
Wednesday, July 29, 2020
The film is a 2019 American comedy film written and directed by Paul Downs Colaizzo in his directorial debut. It stars Jillian Bell, Michaela Watkins, Utkarsh Ambudkar, Lil Rel Howery, and Micah Stock.
Brittany Runs A Marathon follows an overweight woman in New York City who sets out to lose weight and train for the city's annual marathon. The story of Brittany was inspired by Colaizzo's roommate, Brittany O'Neill, who appears in photos before the end credits.
It had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 28, 2019 and was released on August 23, 2019, by Amazon Studios. Principal photography began in October 2017 in New York City. The climactic scene was filmed during the 2017 New York City Marathon with three filming crews working simultaneously to cover race.
Last week, Sharon and I started watching Ozark again; we watched the first three episodes of season one last year, but got sidetracked. After watching Ozark, I needed something light and life affirming.
Tuesday, July 28, 2020
Monday, July 27, 2020
It premiered on February 16, 2011. Filming took place from August to September 2010. The season was filmed near San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. The show featured returning players Russell Hantz and Rob Mariano and 16 new players to Survivor.
Mariano was named the winner in the final episode on May 15, 2011, defeating Phillip Sheppard and Natalie Tenerelli in an 8–1–0 vote. In addition, Mariano won $100,000 as the "Sprint Player of the Season."
After seeing Boston Rob and Amber on the current season of Survivor (Winners at War), we watched them in season seven of the Amazing Race and season eight of Survivor [Amber won]. After watching these other seasons, I wanted to see Boston Rob win. I am pretty sure that I watched this season when it first aired; I remember Phillip...
Boston Rob also appeared in season four (Marquesas) and season twenty (Heroes vs. Villains) of survivor. Amber first appeared in season two (The Australian Outback) of survivor. They also appeared together on season eleven (All-Stars) of the Amazing Race. At some point, we will probably get around to watching these seasons.
Sunday, July 26, 2020
Saturday, July 25, 2020
Friday, July 24, 2020
After a trip to home depot to pick up painting supplies, we finished the day watching Brittany Runs a Marathon.
Thursday, July 23, 2020
- Episode I - Flashbacks chronicle Michael Jordan's college and early NBA days [drafted in 1984]. The Bulls make a preseason trip to Paris amid tension with GM Jerry Krause.
- Episode II - Scottie Pippen [drafted in 1987] rises to become one of the NBA's best players. An injury early in Jordan's career shows distrust with Bulls management. Jordan broke his foot at the beginning of the 1985/86 season.
- Episode III - Dennis Rodman's attitude and energy help the team win, but bring the drama off the court. Rodman played for the Bulls 1995/96, 1996/97 and 1997/98 championship teams. The Bulls struggle to overcome the Pistons in the late '80s. The Bulls lost to the "Bad Boys" Pistons in the 1988/89 and 1989/90 Eastern Conference Finals.
- Episode IV - Phil Jackson's unique philosophy and demeanor take the Bulls to the next level. Jackson starting coaching the Bulls in the 1989/90 season. The team finally gets past Detroit and earns a shot at an NBA title, which is a dream matchup against Magic Johnson, Rookie Vlade Divac and the Lakers.
- Episode V - From Air Jordan and Be Like Mike to the 1992 NBA Finals and the Olympic dream team, Michael becomes a global cultural icon unlike any other. Toni Kukoč plays for Croatia against the Dream Team. Bulls beat the Trailbazers in the finals [Clyde Drexler, Ainge].
- Episode VI - A revealing book--Jordan Rules--and scrutiny of his gambling put a dent in Michael's reputation, but he remains focused on winning a third straight title in 1993. Bulls beat Phoenix Suns [Barkley, Ainge, Kevin Johnson].
- Episode VII - Crushed by the death of his father, a mentally exhausted Michael retires in 1993 – to play baseball. The Bulls move on with Scottie in the lead role.
- Episode VIII - Michael's return energizes the Bulls, the city and the NBA, but a playoff loss in the second round to the Orlando Magic [Shaq, Hardaway, Horace Grant] in 1995 fuels him to work harder than ever to get back on top; this is rewarded with their fourth NBA championship over Seattle [Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp] in 1996, after a record-breaking 72-win season.
- Episode IX - The Bulls face stiff challenges to their reign in 1997 against Utah and in 1998 versus Indiana. The Bulls beat Utah [Karl Malone, John Stockton] to five their fifth championship. Role player Steve Kerr makes his mark on the dynasty.
- Episode X - Battered and exhausted, the Bulls conclude their "Last Dance" with a sixth championship over the Jazz [Marlone, Stockton]. Michael, Phil, and others reflect on the end of their dynasty.
Wednesday, July 22, 2020
Tuesday, July 21, 2020
They finished playing 18, but it was getting very dark at the end. While Sharon had four pars when we played last Friday, she said that she didn't play very well.
Monday, July 20, 2020
The Spy Who Dumped Me is a 2018 black comedy/spy thriller film directed by Susanna Fogel and co-written by Fogel and David Iserson. The film stars Mila Kunis, Kate McKinnon from Saturday Night Live, Justin Theroux, Sam Heughan, Hasan Minhaj and Gillian Anderson.
It follows two best friends who are chased by assassins through Europe after one of their ex-boyfriends turns out to be a CIA agent. I enjoyed the scenery; the movie includes several cities that I hope that we will be able to visit someday, including Vienna, Budapest and Berlin...
The film was released in the United States on August 3, 2018, by Lionsgate and grossed more than $75 million. It received mixed reviews from critics who questioned the film's intended genre and tone, but praised the performances.
The movie was mildly entertaining. I enjoyed it, but with so much streaming content available today, I don't recommend going out of your way to watch it.
Sunday, July 19, 2020
Saturday, July 18, 2020
Friday, July 17, 2020
Thursday, July 16, 2020
Wednesday, July 15, 2020
Tuesday, July 14, 2020
Texting with Wallen over the last few days, he and Jill called on Facetime in the evening. We spend some time catching up. I really hope that Sharon and I can visit them in the first half of next year at the home they are building in Mexico!
Today was their 41st Wedding Anniversary. I was at their wedding in Redding in July of 1979. Additionally, Sharon and I attended their 25th Anniversary Celebration.
Monday, July 13, 2020
The King of Staten Island is comedy-drama film directed by Judd Apatow. The screenplay was written by Apatow, Pete Davidson, and Dave Sirus. It stars Davidson, Marisa Tomei, Bill Burr, Bel Powley, Maude Apatow, and Steve Buscemi.
It follows a young man who must get his life together after his mom starts dating a new man who, like his deceased father, is a firefighter. The film has been called a "semi-biographical" take on the life of Davidson, who lost his firefighter father during the September 11 attacks and has had his own battles with depression.
When it ended, Sharon said "that exceeded my expectations." I was impressed with Davidson's performance. I recommend the film.
Sunday, July 12, 2020
One footnote to this struggle is that I really need to upgrade all of my personal Apple equipment. I have a Mac desktop, an AirBook and an iPad that are all 9 to 11 years old. They are all serviceable devices that I use everyday; they have been great devices. They just don't have enough horsepower.
Saturday, July 11, 2020
We got curbside takeout from Canon. This has been one of Sharon's favorite restaurants over the last couple of years. Sharon and I split Summer Peaches [Buttermilk, Candied Pecans, Charred Endive, Spicy Honey], Roasted Summer Squash [Black Bean Stuffed Squash Blossom, Zucchini, Romesco, Relish, Chile Oil] and Half Roasted Duck [Blueberry Urfa Sauce, Sprouted Wild Rice, Charred Spring Onion, Sweet Corn]. The food was very good.
We finished the day watching The King of Staten Island.
Thursday, July 09, 2020
Wednesday, July 08, 2020
Hamilton was directed and produced by Thomas Kail and produced, written, and composed by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Miranda also stars as first Treasury Secretary and Founding Father Alexander Hamilton. The film is edited together from three performances of Hamilton at the Richard Rodgers Theatre in June 2016 with the original principal Broadway cast members.
Hamilton was originally planned for theatrical release on October 15, 2021. However, in response to the pandemic, it was moved up and released digitally worldwide on Disney+ on July 3, 2020.
Divided in two acts, the musical depicts the life and career of Alexander Hamilton, an orphaned immigrant from the Caribbean island of Nevis. The first act covers Hamilton's arrival in New York City in 1776, his work as an aide-de-camp to General George Washington during the American Revolution, and how he met and married Eliza Schuyler. The second act covers Hamilton's postwar work as the first Secretary of the Treasury of the United States and his death in a duel with Aaron Burr.
I really enjoyed the film. I highly recommend it. I rarely see a film and think that I want to watch it again; I am going to watch Hamilton again (Sea Ranch?).
Tuesday, July 07, 2020
Monday, July 06, 2020
Sunday, July 05, 2020
Saturday, July 04, 2020
Friday, July 03, 2020
I really struggled on the front nine. I was too much in my own head. I was standing over the ball for too long and for the life of me I can't keep my head still. Although I was getting off the tee pretty well, I repeatedly chunked my fairway shots. I was shocked at how hard and fast the greens were.
I settled down on the back nine. I bogeyed four of the last five holes. Surprisingly, I played the whole round with one ball! I ended up scoring a 116. The 54 on the back nine is just about where I feel I should be able to score. It took us about four and a half hours to play the round.
The four of us had a late lunch on the patio at Matteos. Both Sharon and I had a burger.