Getting to the section where the first episode airs, I decided to buy the first season. I watched the first episode on the AppleTV running on the treadmill on Sunday afternoon.
October 11, 1975
- Billy Preston performs "Nothing from Nothing"and "Fancy Lady".
- Janis Ian performs "At Seventeen" and "In the Winter".
- The cold open features John Belushi as a foreign man learning English being taught by writer Michael O'Donoghue. Following this sketch, Chevy Chase appeared with a headset on and bellows the first "Live From New York, It's Saturday Night!"
- As host, George Carlin performs stand-up, introduced the musical guests and conducted the goodnight segment. Carlin performed three monologues, including "Baseball-Football".
- Andy Kaufman appears in a segment consisting of him playing the Mighty Mouse theme on a record player.
- Valri Bromfield makes a guest appearance. Jacqueline Carlin appeared as the mother in the "New Dad Insurance" sketch and as the woman with a book in the "Academy of Better Careers" sketch. Wendy Craig appeared as the salesman in the "Academy of Better Careers" sketch. Richard Belzer (the show's warm-up comedian), writer Tom Davis and talent coordinator Neil Levy appear as jurors in the "Courtroom" sketch.
- Sketches include the Bees; the Albert Brooks film, "The Impossible Truth"; "Trojan Horse Home Security"; "Triple-Trac"; and The Land of Gorch, with Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Rhonda Hansome, and Alice Tweedy.
- Paul Simon appears to promote his appearance as host the following week.
- Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Jane Curtin, Garrett Morris, Laraine Newman, Michael O'Donoghue, and Gilda Radner's first episode as cast members
- George Coe's only episode as a cast member.