California State Historical Landmark #18
Fly to this location (Requires Google Earth)
The placard is missing from the historical marker.
Built by General M.G. Vallejo, 1834-1844, and known as Casa Grande. According to General Vallejo, "Building was of immense proportions with different departments for factories and warehouses."
It took about ten years to complete this building, begun in 1834 as a result of General M. G. Vallejo's order to settle the area. On Vallejo's 66,000-acre rancho such necessities as candles, soap, blankets, shoes, and saddles were manufactured by native artisans in shops which included a tannery, smithy, and grist mill.