California State Historical Landmark #91
See this location on Yahoo Maps in Flickr
See this location on Google Maps
This landmark is located in Pioneer Park at end of Telegraph Hill Boulevard in San Francisco, California. There are 48 other California State Historical Landmarks in San Francisco County.
During Gold Rush days a look-out stationed in a structure on this spot observed and signalled the arrival of incoming vessels by adjusting movable arms high on a tall pole and by hoisting national colors, he identified the nature of the ship arriving and alerted the town below. After four years, in 1853, this novel signaling system became obselete through use of electrical telegraph.
This monument erected by California Historical Society July 20, 1961 on the occasion of the arrival of "S.S. Canberra" of the P&O Steam Navigation Company.
Original plaque replaced by the Coit Tower Preservation Fund and rededicated January 31, 1993 on the arrival of "S.S. Caneberra", World Cruise 1993.
A signal station was erected on Telegraph Hill in 1849 from which to observe the incoming vessels, a tall pole with movable arms was used to signal to the people in the town below whether sailing vessels or the sidewheel vessels of the Pacific mail were passing through the Golden Gate. In September 1853, the first telegraph in California, which extended eight miles to Point Lobos, was stationed here, giving the hill its name.
Post a Comment