National Register of Historic Places #1978000728
See this location on Yahoo Maps in Flickr
See this location on Google Maps
This historic place is located at 6640 Washington Street in the city of Yountville, the county of Napa, California.
The French Laundry, a 1600 square foot structure, constructed from river rock and timbers, was built in 1900 by Scottish stonesman Gus Clark for Frenchman Pierre Guillaume. It was built as a saloon, however, a 1906 state law forbidding the sale of alcohol within a mile of the Veterans Home precipitated Guillaume's sale of the building.
After the sale and at times during it history, the building has served as a residence and at one point, a brothel. During the 1920's, it was owned by John B. Lande and his wife, who operated a "French Steam Laundry," the "French," because of the high degree of skill associated with the service.
In 1978, Don Schmitt, a longtime resident and town major, with his wife Sally, renovated the decrepit structure into a one-seating, fixed-menu restaurant. In 1994, Chef Thomas Keller purchased the restaurant.
Post a Comment