Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Soggy Mess... [2010 Outlaws Baseball Tournament #12 Day #1]

For the first time in three years of playing tournament baseball, the coaches booked tournaments in back to back weekends. Trying to squeeze in one last tournament before shutting down until next year, the Outlaws played in the Northern California Travel Ball Turkey Bowl at the Mather Sports Complex.

The Outlaws were scheduled to play two games late Saturday: Hard 90 Pastime Premier at 5 p.m. and Foothill Athletics at 7:15 p.m. The Outlaws had not faced either team this fall. When the first game started against Hard 90, it was raining lightly.

At the plate, Jack was 0 for 1. In the top of the second, he lined the first pitch up the middle. When it came off the bat, I was sure that it was a hit. The ball died and the second baseman (Dusty's son Darren Baker) made a nice running catch for the out. Jack said that he hit the ball off the handle rather than the barrel.

In the field, Jack played 1 2/3's innings at third base and 1 1/3 innings at first base. He had two errors and an assist. Given the wet windy conditions, I don't feel very good about charging him with the two errors. In the top of the first, a one hopper was hit to his left, Jack got his glove on the ball, but it squirted out. In the top of the second, a ball was grounded hard down the line. Jack got in front of it, but it went under his glove. Two batters later, a soft grounder was hit in front of him. Jack charged the ball. With a runner going from second to third, Jack looked at the runner and then rushed his throw; Breyton did a great job of digging out the short hop for the out.

Hard 90 scored 6 runs in the top of the first on a hit batter, three walks, Jack's error and four hits. Hard 90 added 4 more runs in the top of the second on a hit batter, Jack's error, Greyson's error and three hits. The bottom fell out in the top of the third. The two Outlaws pitchers walked nine batters and Hard 90 scored 6 more runs.

By the bottom of the second inning, it was raining hard. When the Outlaws came into bat in the bottom of the third, their left fielder was so wet and cold that he was not able to go to the plate and bat.

In an hour and thirty minute game, the Outlaws lost the game by the score of 16 to 0 in three innings. It was pouring when the game ended.

With the Outlaws scheduled to play their second game at 7:15 p.m., the tournament officials announced a thirty minute rain delay. As it continued to rain harder and harder, they eventually gave up and sent everyone home for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment