With Sharon gone most of the last week, I have been banging around the house after I get the kids to bed working on a couple of projects. Over three years ago, I bought a Linksys Wireless B Broadband Router. I have always struggled to get VPN to run over this router. After spending more hours than I care to admit fussing with the router's configuration over the last couple months, I gave up and bought a new Linksys router/wireless A-G-B access point. I spent one late night reconfiguring the home network. My home wireless network now includes:
- Linksys Dual-Band Wireless A+G Broadband Router
- Linksys Wireless-G PrintServer - This is attached to the printer in Sharon's office so she can print to the printer from anywhere in the house.
- Airport Express with a pair of Altec Lansing speakers and a small subwoofer attached. I can wirelessly stream music from my den PC running iTunes to anywhere in the house. I was not getting very good results with the Airport Express on the old wireless-B access point. I am very happy with the performance with the new router.
- Tivo Series2 DVR with a Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter - Tivo uses the internet to update the program guide. Additionally, from any browser, you can select programs to record and send the command to our DVR.
- Sharon's Dell Laptop in her ofice has a Linksys Dual-Band Wireless A+G Notebook Adapter.
My work Tablet PC is configured so that it automatically attaches to either my home wireless network or the work wireless network depending on where I am. VPN runs great wirelessly over the new router; this means that I can sit anywhere in the house with my work PC and it is just like sitting at my desk at work!
One of the things that I have struggled with is back-ups for Sharon's business. I am looking at adding a Linksys Network Storage Link with a USB hard drive to the network to support back-ups.
Post a Comment