Sunday, November 02, 2008

2008 Gunners Baseball Tournament #5 Day 2

With the Gunners seeded first for Sunday's single elimination games, Jack and I showed up in Manteca in the late morning. We watched the end of the game between Hard 90 Pastime and TABU. The Gunners would play the winner. Hard 90 won the game by a score of 2 to 1 in seven innings.

The Gunners lost to Hard 90 Pastime a month ago in a funky game played partially in a driving rain. Nevertheless, I was initially optimistic. Unfortunately, the game turned into a train wreck from the start. I never complain about the umpires, but I was very disappointed in this umpiring team. While most of the umpires are older men, this team was two young boys; they were terrible. The field umpire was consistently out of position and had his back to several plays. The home plate umpire called a very inconsistent strike zone. He would call a pitch a ball and then call the same exact pitch a strike one pitch later. This makes it very difficult on the boys.

The Gunners pitching struggled. The starting pitcher walked five batters in the first three innings; three of these runners scored. Nevertheless, the Gunners only trailed by a score of 3 to 2 at the end of three innings.

The bottom fell out in the fourth. With a couple of hits and walks, Hard 90 scored four runs. The Gunners lost by a final score of 8 to 2. The final running amok of the day was that the umpires stopped the game after 5 innings even though they had only been playing for 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Jack did not play in this game. It looks like he is back towards the end of the bench.

For the weekend, Jack was 1 for 2 with a walk. He scored two runs. For the five tournaments that he has played with the Gunners, Jack is 6 for 19 with five walks and six strike outs.

Jack played 5 of the 12 innings in three games this weekend. Jack has played 55 of the 82 innings in the five tournaments this fall in left field, right field, third base and as DH.

No comments:

Post a Comment