Monday, June 09, 2008

Alaskan Cruise Day 3 More

This is the first of three days that the ship stops at different ports. Up early, we watched the ship sail into Ketchikan. We have also jumped forward to the Alaskan time zone.

We have excursions planned for each of the next three days. Today, we meet a tour guide on the dock at 8:00 a.m., boarded a bus and headed a couple of miles out of town. The excursion for today includes jeeps, canoes and a short hike. Sharon, Jack and I were in one jeep as part of a group of five jeeps with me driving. They had CB radios to communicate between the jeeps with the guide in the lead jeep. We drove on a couple of rough logging roads up into the Tongass National Forest. The first stop had a great view back down the valley to the water. The second leg included lots of water on the road. Jack enjoyed me gunning the jeep, driving into the water and covering the jeep with water.

From there we drove the jeeps up to Harriet Hunt Lake. The guide put our group into a large Indian war canoe and we paddled across the lake. On the other side of the lake, there was a camp set-up. The guide took us on a short nature hike talking about the ecology, plants and animals of the region. He did a nice job. After the hike, we had a snack of salmon and chowder, paddled the canoe back across the lake and then took a bus back to the dock. Sharon remarked that you would not really know that you were not in the Tahoe National Forest.

From the dock, I dashed into Ketchikan, while Sharon and Jack headed back to the boat. With the ship sailing at 2:30 p.m., my only regret for the day is that we did not have more time to explore Ketchikan. I wandered into town for a hour making a loop through Creek Street, but there are a couple of things that I wish I had time to see.

The three of us had a very late lunch on the top deck watching the ship sail out of Ketchikan. The terrain is starting to change; it looks less like Tahoe.

I had a late 3.05 mile run on the treadmill watching the terrain roll by. Afterwards, Sharon worked out, while Jack and I sat in the hot tubs on the aft deck; a great view!

We had dinner again in the International Dining Room. Sharon had lamb, Jack had a hot dog and I had pasta.

We were back in the room before 10 p.m. falling asleep to the television.

No comments:

Post a Comment