Thursday, June 25, 2009

2009 East Coast Trip - Day 7 - Cooperstown

Sharon and I started the day with coffee at Gemini Cafe in East Oneonta. The plan for the day was for Sharon to hang out at the house, while I went with the team to Baseball Hall of Fame.

After a short run, I headed to Cooperstown Dream Park to catch up with the team. From there, everyone took a bus into Cooperstown. We spent a little over two hours wandering through the Baseball Hall of Fame. The hall has a quiz sheet that kids can fill out with answers found in the exhibits and then turn in for a package of baseball cards. Jack, Cooper and AD stayed together and worked on getting the sheet completed. They had to visit all of the rooms to find the answers. After they completed the first sheet, Jack and Cooper decided that they were going to back and get the second sheet that had different questions. This took us back through all of the exhibits again. We finished up in the gift shop.

My passions do not include the history of baseball, but I enjoyed the visit. In particular, the hall with all of the plaques for players is very well done.

I took Jack to lunch with several of the other families at a place just down the block. I need to find the name of the restaurant because it is place that I would NOT recommend eating.

After the late lunch, I took several of the boys over to Doubleday Field.

Returning to the bus, we headed back to Cooperstown Dream Park. I headed out to pick up Sharon and bring her back to the park for the closing ceremonies. The closing ceremonies include introducing each boy and presenting him with a ring; think college graduation.

Unfortunately, the week ended like it started. After about a dozen of the teams and their players had been introduced, a thunderstorm moved in. They suspended the ceremony and we headed for cover in the family tent. It took a little over an hour for the storm to move through. They restarted the ceremony. The closing ceremony concluded with fireworks.

At this point, they still had to play the championship game. My guess is that the game would not start until almost 10:00 p.m. We collected Jack and his stuff and headed back to our house. We will be trying to get an early start tomorrow morning to spend a couple of days in New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment