Monday, June 22, 2009

2009 East Coast Trip - Day 4 - Cooperstown

After a couple of long days, Sharon slept late. We both eventually went out for morning runs along the county road before grabbing a quick bite to eat and heading into the park.

The Gunners played the Noblesville Indiana Heat in their third game of the tournament at 11:00 a.m.

At the plate, Jack was 1 for 2. In his first at-bat, Jack blooped one into center field to drive in a run. The center fielder tried to make a diving catch, but slid just short. Jack went to second on the throw home. He scored from second on an infield error. Jack hit one up the middle that the pitcher deflected to the shortstop in his second plate apperance. Jack was thrown out at first by a step.

In the field, Jack had some struggles. On a ball hit down the third base line, he tried to backhand it, but could not find the handle. Jack wears his emotions more than any other kid on the team; he was very upset with himself. This play was followed shortly by one where Jack, a runner stealing third and a ball all got tangled up. Jack was even more frustrated with himself. The inning ended with Jack tagging out a runner stealing third. Jack ended up playing three innings at third and two innings in left field in a seven inning game.

The Gunners beat the Heat by the score of 4 to 3 in seven innings. It was a wild game. The Gunners had one run erased due to Dillon sliding into home head first; this is illegal in this tournament. With two outs and runners on second and third, Cooper hit one over the top of third base just fair for a walk-off single. I was standing very close to third base and was sure that the ball was foul!

Sharon and I went into Cooperstown for lunch. We had a nice lunch at the Hoffman Lane Bistro; this is another place that we would recommend. After Sharon shopped for a bit, we drove up the lake to check out Otesga Resort Hotel and a restaurant on the lake called the Blue Mingo.

The Gunners played the Gainsville Virginia Cannons in their second game at 4:30 p.m.

At the plate, Jack was 2 for 3. In his first at-bat, he drove one down the third baseline and was safe at first. Jack stole second and went to third on a passed ball. He was still at third when the inning ended. Jack drove a line drive into right field to drive in a run in his second plate appearance. He stole second and third, but was stranded on third at the end of the inning. In his third plate appearance, Jack struck out looking on a call third strike.

In the field, Jack played five innings in left field and the third inning at third. He had one high fly ball hit to him in left just in front of the wall that he caught easily. After the morning struggles at third, it will be interesting to see where he plays over the next two days.

With the game tied 3 to 3 in the bottom of the fifth, the Gunners gave up 4 runs. They made a series of errors in the field. One of the dad’s sitting next to me described it as “Monkey Ball.” The Gunners lost the game by a score of 7 to 4.

The Elk Grove Gunners ended the second day with a record of 2 wins and 2 losses. Jack is 4 for 9 with walk and one strike-out (BA - .444 & OBP - .500).

Sharon and I finished the night with a very nice dinner at Alex & Ika Restaurant in Cooperstown. Sharon had rack of lamb, while I had the Hanger Steak.

I made a tactical error on the way home. Leaving Cooperstown, I let the GPS lead me on a wild ride home over a series of country roads.

As we pulled up to the house, the creek that borders the property was alive with fireflies; it was a very cool sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment