California State Historical Landmark #831
See this location on Yahoo Maps in Flickr
See this location on Google Maps
This landmark is located at the northeast corner of Cutler and 1st Avenues, 3.7 miles north of Hamilton City, California. There is one other California State Historical Landmarks in Glenn County. The GPS coordinates for this location are 39° 47' 11.6" N 122° 02' 54.8" W.
Coming via Panama, William Semple Green (1832-1905) arrived in San Francisco on October 10, 1849 and in Colusa County on July 6, 1850. He was a ferryboat captain, mail carrier, surveyor, editor, writer, legislator, Surveyor General of the United States, California State Treasurer, irrigationist, and friend of man. On December 18, 1883, on an oak tree on the west bank of the Sacramento River immediately east of this spot, he posted the first water notice, stating that 500,000 miner's inches of river water was being diverted for irrigation of lands on the west side of the Sacramento Valley.