The fifth season spans the period from 1991 to 1997. The season focuses on the failing relationship between Charles and Diana with detours to explore the origin story of Mohamed Al-Fayed, the execution of the Romanovs and Margaret's past relationship with Townsend.
Season five marks The Crown's final wholesale recasting. It follows the ensembles led by Claire Foy (seasons one and two) and Olivia Colman (seasons three and four). The new cast includes:
- Imelda Staunton stars as Queen Elizabeth;
- Jonathan Pryce as Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Elizabeth's husband [Two Popes, The Wife] ;
- Lesley Manville as Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon, Elizabeth's younger sister;
- Jonny Lee Miller as John Major, Prime Minister 1990–1997;
- Dominic West as Charles, Prince of Wales, Elizabeth and Philip's eldest child and the heir apparent, and;
- Elizabeth Debicki as Diana, Princess of Wales, Charles's wife [Tenet].