California State Historical Landmark #365
See this location on Yahoo Maps in Flickr
See this location on Google Maps
It was on this hill that Dr. Dean Jewett Locke and his brother Elmer H. Locke built the first cabin of this section in 1851. Disturbed by grizzly bears, they spent their first nights in the oak trees. Dr. Locke, physician for the Boston and Newton Joint Stock Company, left Boston April 16, 1849, crossing the Plains. Arriving at Sacramento, Sept. 16, 1849 he built and maintained a ford across the Mokelumne River and because of this fact his wife, Delia Hammond Locke in 1859 named the town he layed out on his ranch Lockeford.
Luther Locke, his father, was postmaster of the first postoffice established in 1861. Dr. Locke was born in Langdon N.H. April 16 1823 and died at Lockeford May 4 1887.