Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Dwight Morgan

Dwight Clinton Morgan, age 48, died in a tragic accident at his home in Georgetown, CA on July 1st, 2021.

Dwight loved life and took every opportunity to live it to the fullest.

Dwight was anxious to be part of the world, so he arrived earlier than expected during an ice storm in Atlanta, GA. After his mom was dropped off at the hospital, his dad went to park the car. When he came back a short time later he was told he had a baby boy. His dad said, “That’s not possible. I just left my wife here a few minutes ago and we were supposed to have a girl.”

Soon after Dwight’s birth, he and his parents moved to Loma Linda. As a young child he was always busy and curious. His mother told stories of him being found in a mud puddle, in the middle of a horse pasture in his footy pajamas. And once on top of the roof. He never was nervous about heights. Both incidents happened with a babysitter. His parents soon learned that Dwight would need a more involved babysitter.

Dwight had plenty of confidence. He and his mother were at the park with another woman and her son. The other little boy had his bicycle with him. Dwight was telling this little boy the correct way to ride the bicycle. Dwight’s mother commented to the other woman, “This should be interesting.” “Why?”, the woman asked. “Because he has never ridden a bicycle.”

When Dwight was 2, his parents purchased a Toyota Landcruiser. That Landcruiser is still part of the family. It was used to explored California when he was young. Then Dwight explored the Blue Mountains of Washington and Oregon. He towed it to Yellowstone, Teton and Arches National Parks. Then back to California where it explored the Sierras. The Landcruiser was always a key part of his plans.

At about the age of 7, Dwight and his parents moved to Moses Lake where he attended the Moses Lake Adventist Elementary school. Here he forged friendships that would last for many years.

Dwight attended Upper Columbia Academy during his high school years and graduated in 1991.

After high school, Dwight attended Walla Walla University where he received a degree in Electrical Engineering. During his freshman year of college, he learned to fly an airplane. He loved to fly and did so whenever he got the chance. Shortly before his death he got the opportunity to fly a biplane. Always wanting his wife in his adventures, he was sure to fly over the house so she could enjoy it too.

During his last year in college, Dwight started working at Walla Walla General Hospital in the IT department. He spent more than 20 years there and made many strong and lasting relationships. Here he met his wife of 23 years. They were friends for at least a year before they dated. Annette’s feelings grew faster than Dwight’s, but she was patient and knew he was worth waiting for. They were married in 1998 and made their home in the Walla Walla Valley for almost 20 years.

Dwight loved to travel. Within 3 months of getting married, Dwight rented an RV and, with his parents, he and his wife traveled to southern Colorado to visit family. What a way to get to know the in-laws. There were many more trips. A motorcycle trip to Mt. Rushmore with a stop in Yellowstone, a motorcycle trip down to San Diego with a leisurely return along the pacific coast, motorhome trips to Yellowstone and the Tetons several times. Other RV trips to Yosemite, Arches, Glacier, Texas, Olympic Peninsula, and many trips visiting family.

While living in the Walla Walla Valley, Dwight became a board member for Blue Mountain Credit Union. He loved to learn and challenge himself. He soon became the Board Secretary and then the Board Chair. He enjoyed his time working with BMCU and the staff there.

When Walla Walla General Hospital was closing, Dwight moved to a position at the corporate office of Adventist Health in Roseville, CA. He worked at the corporate office for 4 years. He enjoyed his time in California. Other than exploring the area in the Landcruiser, Dwight took blacksmithing classes and worked on his property.

Dwight touched many lives. I was profoundly touched by a comment one person made to me upon hearing of his death, “I didn’t know Dwight that well. I tend to keep my distance from people I do not know. But with Dwight, I felt the warmth right away.”

Dwight is survived by his wife, parents, brother and sister-in-law and 2 nephews. He is mourned by hundreds of his friends and family.

You are greatly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment