Saturday, October 04, 2008

2008 Gunners Baseball Tournament #3 Day 1

Not a very successful day... The Gunners drew the first two games of the day: an 8:00 a.m. game and a 10:15 a.m. game. I got Jack up about 5:45 a.m. and we left the house about 6:15 a.m. It was raining lightly when we got to the Big League Dreams Park in Manteca. The Gunners scored two runs in the top of the first. In the bottom of the first, with one of the Gunners best pitchers on the mound, it started to rain pretty hard. Our pitcher who throws hard had a difficult time with his grip in the rain. The Gunners ended up walking 6 batters in the inning and giving up 10 runs in the bottom half of the inning.

Jack got up once in the top of the second. He struck out swinging on a 2 ball, 2 strike count. Overall, six of ten the Gunners struck out in the game. The Gunners had only one hit in the game.

Jack played four innings in left field. He had one ball hit through the infield to him. In the light rain, Jack barehanded the ball and threw it back to second. My heart skipped a beat when I watched him barehand the wet ball. He said afterwords that the ball had some funny spin on it.

The Gunners ended up losing the first game to Hard 90 Pastime by a score of 11 to 2 in four innings.

The rain had stopped and the sun came out by the time the Gunners started the second game at 10:15. In the top of the first, the Gunners pitcher hit two of the first four batters and the team ended up giving up three runs before the pitcher settled down and struck out the last two batters in the inning. The Gunners put together one run in the fourth and two runs in the fifth to tie the score at the top of the sixth. In the top of the six, one of the Gunners walked four batters and the team gave up four runs to fall behind by a score of 7 to 3.

Jack played three innings at third base (1st, 2nd and 6th). In the top of the sixth with runners on second and third and no outs, Jack was holding the runner at third. A ball was hit sharply to the left side. Jack fielded the ball cleanly and looked towards first. As he looked at first, the runner on third took a couple of steps towards home. Jack started back to third. He chased the runner towards home plate and made a solid throw to the catcher who tagged out the runner. At the time, the defensive play kept the game tied at 3. Unfortunately, a couple more walks and a single blew the game open.

Oddly, due to the substitution pattern, Jack never got to bat. The Gunners ended up losing the second game to the Sonoma County Rebels by a score of 7 to 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment